Overcoming Dyslexia (Paperback)
“In this gem of a book, Dr. Sally Shaywitz uses her voice, her images, her brain–and yes, her heart–to shine a piercing and clarifying light on what we so inadequately call ‘dyslexia.’ What is more, she shows how almost everyone can overcome it.” --Daniel D. Federman, M.D.,
“Fascinating. . . . Shaywitz has illuminated the inner workings of dyslexic minds.” --Time
“An important book.... For the first time, scientists are understanding how the brain works...in the act of reading. Front and center now is Sally Shaywitz.” –The Baltimore Sun
From the Inside Flap
FOR EVERYONE WHO STRUGGLES TO READ!
Clear, practical, science-based information and advice for successful results
One in five American children has trouble reading. But they are not stupid or lazy. In Overcoming Dyslexia," Dr. Sally Shaywitz, co-director of the Yale Center for the Study of Learning and Attention and a leader in the new research into how the brain works, offers the latest information about reading problems and proven, practical techniques that, along with hard work and the right help, can enable anyone to overcome them. Here are the tools that parents and teachers need to help the dyslexic child, age by age, grade by grade, step by step.
- What dyslexia is and why some intelligent, gifted people read slowly and painfully
- How to identify dyslexia in preschoolers, schoolchildren, young adults, and adults
- How to find the best school and how to work productively with your child's teacher
- Exercises to help children use the parts of the brain that control reading
- A 20-minute nightly home program to enhance reading
- The 150 most common problem words-a list that can give your child a head start
- Ways to raise and preserve a child's self-esteem aqnd reveal his strengths
- Stories of successful men and women who are dyslexic